Executive and Premiere Communications Procedure and Schedule
A strong communications strategy has proven to be a crucial factor in the University’s success in speaking with one voice. Email is the University’s primary outreach driver, with most messages also shared or repurposed on the Seton Hall website and social media channels.
With the multitude of events and initiatives that the University produces, experience has shown that sending communications that promote each event individually ultimately —and counterintuitively—works against successful promotion because metrics have shown that open rates tend to decrease as broadcast email volume increases.
To maximize open rates and engagement, we follow the schedule below to streamline our University communications. We ask that event-specific communications continue to be promoted through these scheduled messages, focusing on quality over quantity.
The inclusion of submitted content is at the discretion of the constituents managing each email and priority communications sharing that space. Information on submission needs, components, and deadlines are listed below.
- President’s Messages (audience: varies)
- Inside the Hall (audience: full Seton Hall community)
Inside the Hall syndicates the community’s news stories and University Calendar events. To be considered for Inside the Hall, news stories and/or events must be published the preceding Thursday.
- Office of the Provost (audience: all faculty; administration and staff when needed)
- To be considered for inclusion, please email Bernadette McVey (email@example.com) with a brief summary of your message and corresponding links to the related webpage, news story and/or University calendar event. Content must be submitted by the preceding Friday.
- Academic Messaging (including Registrar, Schools and Colleges*, Research, Scholarship, special programs, academic services and resources, etc.) (audiences vary, segmented for content)
- Office of Mission and Ministry (audience: full Seton Hall community or segmented for appeal)
- To be considered for inclusion, please email Kathleen Childers (Kathleen.firstname.lastname@example.org) with a brief summary of your message and corresponding links to the related webpage, news story and/or University calendar event. Content must be submitted by the preceding Monday to the desired send date.
- Campus Ministry, Diversity, Equity and Inclusion (DEI) messaging, Title IX notices and updates from General Counsel (audiences vary)
- To be considered for inclusion, please complete the Event and Initiative Promotion planner. Content must be submitted by the preceding Monday to the desired send date.
- University Advancement (audiences vary, segmented for content between campus community and alumni, friends, and donors)
This communication is an update from the Division’s Vice President to multiple constituent audiences every two weeks. Final, approved content to be included in the Thursday send must and be submitted by the preceding Friday.
- Administrative Offices (IT, Human Resources, Finance, Facilities, etc.) (audiences vary, segmented for content)
- Health Intervention and Communication Team (HICT) (audience: full Seton Hall community)
Final, approved content to be included in Thursday sends must be approved and submitted by the preceding Tuesday.
- Student Services (audience: all SO and IHS-based students; Law School segment occasionally)
- To be considered for inclusion, please complete the Event and Initiative Promotion planner. Content must be submitted by the preceding Wednesday to the desired send date.
- No emails from Seton Hall University to internal audiences.
University Advancement Communications
- Pirate Press (audience: all alumni, first weekday of each month)
- Parents’ Newsletter (audience: all Seton Hall parents, bimonthly, scheduled a la cart)
- Law Alumni Newsletter (events the 1st of each month, full message the 15th of each month)
- Campaigns, gift announcements, and ad-hoc messages (please contact University Advancement for details and timing)
All University communications are tracked as closely as possible across various metrics systems, reviewed to comply with digital accessibility requirements, and managed through systems approved by General Counsel for data privacy and shared governance.
Questions? Please contact email@example.com.