Seton Hall University
Commencement 2013

Frequently Asked Questions

When and where is the commencement ceremony?
Baccalaureate Commencement Exercises will take place at The IZOD Center (formerly Continental Airlines Arena), East Rutherford on Monday, May 19, 2014. Walking at this ceremony is optional. The procession begins at 10:30 a.m., with the formal ceremony beginning at 11 a.m. and ending at approximately 1 p.m.

Separate graduate ceremonies will take place in various locations both on and off the South Orange Campus. View the commencement calendar »

Do I need tickets for my family/friends who are attending Commencement?
An unlimited number of guests may attend the Baccalaureate Commencement Ceremony at the IZOD Center, the Mass of Academic Investiture, the President’s Reception and the Undergraduate Academic Awards Ceremony. Tickets are not required. Undergraduate degree candidates will receive a number of souvenir invitations in their commencement packet when they pick up their academic attire. Some graduate commencement ceremonies limit the number of guests; graduate degree candidates will receive this information from their college.

What about caps and gowns?
Academic attire is ordered in mass quantities to facilitate the many sizes needed for the entire graduating class. Students with special sizing requirements should send an e-mail to with specifics including name, student I.D. number and contact information.  

Attire for baccalaureate, master and Ed.S. graduates as well as faculty, will be distributed in the Beck Rooms on the ground floor of the University Library on these dates:

Tuesday, May 6
Thursday, May 8
Tuesday, May 13
10 a.m. - 7 p.m.
3 - 7 p.m.
12 noon to 7 p.m.

Attire for those doctoral graduates who are borrowing University-owned attire may be picked up in Bayley Hall, ground floor, room 14 on these dates:

Tuesday and Wednesday, May 6-7
Thursday, May 8
Friday, May 9
Tuesday, May 13
10 a.m. - noon and 2 - 6 p.m.
 9 a.m. - 1 p.m. and 2 - 7 p.m.
 9 a.m. - 4 p.m.
 9 a.m. - 6 p.m.


How much is the cap and gown rental fee?
There is no charge for the rental of academic attire.

What do I do with my academic attire after Commencement?
Immediately following Commencement, all baccalaureate graduates must deposit their attire (cap, gown and hood) in front of the IZOD Center in the designated areas. Master and Ed.S. graduates will deposit their attire at designated locations outside the location of their ceremony. Doctoral candidates must return their academic attire to the Office of the Registrar within one week after the ceremony.

When will I receive my diploma?
Diplomas will be available by early August for mailing or in-person pick up.

If you have elected to pick up your diploma in person, please come to the Office of the Registrar in Bayley Hall. Remember to bring identification with you when picking up your diploma. Diplomas will not be released without identification of the recipient. If someone else is picking up your diploma for you, you must give him or her a signed authorization indicating that you are giving permission to have your diploma picked up. Without the authorization, diplomas will not be released.

Diplomas will not be released to any student who has an outstanding financial obligation to the University.

Is transportation provided for students to the Meadowlands?
The bus will leave at 7:30 a.m. sharp from the Richie Regan Recreation Center and will leave the IZOD Center at 2 p.m. for the return trip to the South Orange campus. To make reservations, please call (973) 761-9076.

Where do I or my guests park at the IZOD Center?
Free parking is available at the IZOD Center in the parking deck and in the adjacent lots. Plan to arrive well in advance of procession time. Latecomers may need to park in the Giants Stadium lot; you will then need to walk or take the shuttle bus to the arena. Handicapped parking is available on the ground floor of the parking deck in lot 23 in front of the arena; these spaces require handicapped plates or DMV handicapped placard. Limited handicapped parking is also available in lots 21 and 22. IZOD Center parking attendants will be directing traffic and will direct those requiring handicapped parking.

Where do I sit during Commencement?
Students walk into the arena in groups by degree. Students may refer to the seating chart that they receive in their packet. (or download and print the seating chart now »)

If you would like to sit with your friends, walk in back or in front of them. Do not stand beside them, as the lines will split.

For information about graduate college-related events, please contact the following:

  • Arts and Sciences – Michael Dooney, (973) 275-2155
  • College of Education and Human Services – Mayra Colon, (973) 761-9025
  • College of Nursing –
    Graduate Students - Emily Hampton, (973) 761-9583
    Undergraduates - Dr. Linda Ulak, (973) 761-9276
  • Immaculate Conception Seminary School of Theology – Kris Hudak, (973) 761-9633
  • School of Health and Medical Sciences:
  • Division of Health Sciences Commencement ceremony - Lori Riley, (973) 313-6077
    Division of Medical Residencies and Fellowships - Nita Blaszka, (973) 275-2031
  • Stillman School of Business – Leigh Onimus, (973) 313-6058
  • Whitehead School of Diplomacy – Elizabeth Halpin, (973) 275-2560

What if I need disability accommodations at graduation related events?
We encourage students or guests who need accommodations to notify the Office of Disability Support Services at (973) 313-6003 at least two weeks in advance of the event. If the office is not contacted in a timely fashion, we cannot guarantee that the requested accommodations will be available. Individuals should bring their own or rented wheel chairs or walkers, if they have limited mobility. Wheel chairs and other such devices will not be provided by the University or the IZOD Center.

Will there be sign language interpreters at graduation?
If you are in need of interpreters for any other graduation event on campus, please call the DSS office at (973) 313-6003 at least two weeks prior to the event. If you do not adhere to that timeline, we cannot guarantee that this accommodation will be made.

Is handicapped seating available at the IZOD Center? Where?
Handicapped seating is available for guests in sections 105 through 125, accessible by gates A or D. Handicapped parking is also available in lot 21 and 23, located near the elevators by the box office entrance.

Is the Bookstore open? What time?
The University Bookstore is located in Duffy Hall.

  • Diploma Frames are available online at as well as in the Seton Hall University Bookstore.
  • Graduation Announcements are available to order online at
  • Class Rings are available through two vendors, Traditions Inc. and Balfour. Information about rings and how to place an order at or

How long after Commencement can I stay in my residence hall?
Graduating resident students must check out of their rooms by 10 a.m. on Tuesday, May 20, 2014.

Seton Hall University · 400 South Orange Ave · South Orange, NJ 07079 · (973) 761-9000